It’s easy to assume that insurance companies don’t want you comparing rates. Consumers who shop around at least once a year will probably switch to a new company because there is a good chance of finding a lower-cost company. A recent study showed that people who make a habit of shopping around saved an average of $850 each year compared to policyholders who don’t make a habit of comparing rates.
If finding budget-friendly Subaru BRZ insurance in Tampa is your objective, then having an understanding of how to get price quotes and compare insurance coverage can save money and time.
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to get more affordable auto insurance rates is to regularly compare price quotes from insurers who provide car insurance in Tampa. Drivers can shop around by completing these steps.
First, get a basic knowledge of the coverage provided by your policy and the steps you can take to keep rates low. Many risk factors that are responsible for high rates such as getting speeding tickets and your credit history can be remedied by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
Second, compare rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide prices for a wide range of companies. Begin your rate comparison
Third, compare the new quotes to your current policy premium to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate and switch companies, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
Fourth, give notification to your agent or company to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit a completed application and payment to the new company. Make sure you safely store the proof of insurance paperwork with your registration paperwork.
The most important part of shopping around is that you’ll want to compare similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote request and and to get price quotes from as many different companies as possible. This helps ensure a level playing field and the best rate selection.
Locating the most cost-effective auto insurance policy in Tampa can initially seem challenging. If you’re already insured, you will be able to shop for the lowest rates using these tips. Vehicle owners just need to understand the proper way to compare price quotes online from multiple companies.
The car insurance companies shown below are ready to provide comparison quotes in Florida. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit two to three different companies in order to find the lowest rates.
Car insurance is an important decision
Despite the potentially high cost of Subaru BRZ insurance, insuring your vehicle is not optional due to several reasons.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability coverage in order to license the vehicle. In Florida these limits are 10/20/10 which means you must have $10,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, almost every bank will make it a condition of the loan that you have full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If the policy lapses, the bank will be required to insure your Subaru for a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Car insurance preserves not only your Subaru but also your financial assets. It also can pay for most medical and hospital costs incurred in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your Subaru gets damaged, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. As of last year, the average driver in Florida is currently overpaying as much as $810 a year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Determine discounts on Tampa insurance
Some companies don’t always list all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the below list has some of the more common as well as some of the hidden discounts that may be available.
- Braking Control Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have steering control and anti-lock brakes are much safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Good Grades Discount – Performing well in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
- Life Insurance Discount – If the company offers life insurance, you could get a break if you buy some life insurance too.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Drivers who insure primary and secondary vehicles with the same insurance company may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Save with a New Car – Buying a new car model can get you a discount since newer vehicles are generally safer.
- Military Discounts – Being deployed with a military unit could qualify you for better prices.
- Auto/Home Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same company you may earn up to 20% and get you cheaper BRZ insurance.
- Safe Driver Discount – Insureds without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than their less cautious counterparts.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that some credits don’t apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. So even though they make it sound like it’s possible to get free car insurance, you’re out of luck.
A few popular companies and their offered discounts are detailed below.
- Progressive offers discounts for multi-policy, multi-vehicle, online signing, homeowner, online quote discount, continuous coverage, and good student.
- MetLife may include discounts for good driver, good student, claim-free, multi-policy, defensive driver, accident-free
- Mercury Insurance discounts include professional/association, ease of repair, good student, anti-theft, multi-car, age of vehicle, and low natural disaster claims.
- Nationwide offers discounts including Farm Bureau membership, defensive driving, good student, accident-free, and family plan.
- GEICO may have discounts that include federal employee, five-year accident-free, anti-lock brakes, membership and employees, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and military active duty.
- AAA may offer discounts for good student, AAA membership discount, pay-in-full, multi-car, and education and occupation.
Before buying, ask every insurance company which discounts can lower your rates. Discounts might not be available to policyholders in Tampa. To find insurers that offer multiple discounts in Tampa, follow this link.
Comparing prices from local Tampa insurance agents
Certain consumers still like to get advice from a local agent and that is OK! Good agents can help determine the best coverages and will help you if you have claims. The biggest benefit of comparing auto insurance online is the fact that you can find cheap rate quotes and still have a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is submitted to companies in Tampa who will return price quotes for your auto insurance coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to leave your house since price quotes are sent instantly to you. If you wish to get a price quote from a specific auto insurance provider, you can always find their quoting web page and submit a quote form there.
Deciding on an insurance company requires more thought than just a cheap price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Tampa?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
Exclusive and independent Tampa car insurance agents
If you are searching for a reliable insurance agency, there are a couple of types of insurance agents and how they function. Tampa agents can be classified as either independent or exclusive. Both insure your vehicles, but it’s worth mentioning the difference in how they write coverage because it may have an impact on the selection process.
Exclusive agencies have only one company to place business with and some examples include AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. They generally cannot place coverage with different providers so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive insurance agents are very knowledgeable on what they offer which can be an advantage.
Below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Tampa that are able to give comparison quotes.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
These agents are normally appointed by many insurers so they can write business with an assortment of companies depending on which coverage is best. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the business is moved internally which makes it simple for you. If you are comparing rate quotes, you absolutely need to get several quotes from at least one independent agent to get the most accurate price comparison.
The following are independent insurance agents in Tampa who can help you get comparison quotes.
It’s not one size fits all
When buying insurance from an agent or online, there really isn’t a cookie cutter policy. Every insured’s situation is different.
For example, these questions may help you determine whether your personal situation might need an agent’s assistance.
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Florida?
- Is pet coverage available?
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form. It is quick, free and may give you better protection.
What is YOUR best insurance company?
Consumers change insurance companies for many reasons like unfair underwriting practices, questionable increases in premium, not issuing a premium refund and even denial of a claim. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching car insurance companies is not as difficult as it may seem.
We covered many ways to save on Subaru BRZ insurance in Tampa. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest priced car insurance comes from a small local company.
When buying insurance coverage, don’t be tempted to reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many situations where someone dropped physical damage coverage only to regret that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your goal should be to get the best coverage possible at the best cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
To read more, feel free to visit the articles below:
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Safe Drivers in Tampa? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Tampa Auto Insurance Rates for Teenagers? (FAQ)
- How Much is Tampa Car Insurance for a Nissan Versa? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for College Students in Tampa? (FAQ)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)