Unimaginable but true, about 70% of customers have bought car insurance from the same company for over three years, and just under half have never compared rates to find lower-cost insurance. Tampa drivers can save nearly 55% each year by just comparing quotes, but they underestimate how much savings they would realize if they switched to a cheaper policy.
If you want to save the most money, the best way to get more affordable car insurance rates in Tampa is to start comparing rates regularly from companies that sell auto insurance in Florida. This can be done by following these steps.
First, try to learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the things you can control to keep rates low. Many rating factors that result in higher rates like traffic tickets, fender benders, and an imperfect credit rating can be rectified by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Keep reading for more information to lower rates and find discounts that may have been missed.
Second, request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from many different companies. View insurance agents
Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates and determine if cheaper Explorer Sport Trac coverage is available in Tampa. If you find better rates, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
Fourth, give notification to your current company of your intent to cancel the current policy. Submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application to your new insurance company. As soon as you receive it, put the certificate of insurance in an easily accessible location.
An essential thing to point out is to make sure you enter the same coverage limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to compare all possible companies. Doing this enables an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price selection.
Getting a cheaper price on insurance can be relatively painless. You just need to take a couple of minutes to get quotes from different insurance companies.
The auto insurance companies shown below offer price quotes in Florida. If you wish to find cheaper auto insurance in Tampa, FL, it’s highly recommended you compare several of them to find the most affordable auto insurance rates.
Statistics and details
The table shown next covers detailed analysis of insurance coverage prices for Ford Explorer Sport Trac models. Having knowledge of how insurance quotes are determined can help drivers make decisions on which insurance to purchase.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Explorer Sport Trac XLT 2WD||$260||$360||$546||$32||$164||$1,362||$114|
|Explorer Sport Trac Limited 2WD||$298||$360||$546||$32||$164||$1,400||$117|
|Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD||$298||$360||$546||$32||$164||$1,400||$117|
|Explorer Sport Trac Limited 4WD||$338||$438||$546||$32||$164||$1,518||$127|
|Explorer Sport Trac Limited AWD||$338||$438||$546||$32||$164||$1,518||$127|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Florida minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy. Table data does not factor in garaging location in Tampa which can revise auto insurance rates considerably.
The information below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can raise or lower Ford Explorer Sport Trac annual premium costs for different age categories. The prices are based on a single male driver, full coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Irresponsible driving raises your rates
The chart below demonstrates how speeding tickets and at-fault fender-benders can raise Ford Explorer Sport Trac auto insurance costs for each different age group. The data assumes a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Why auto insurance is not optional
Despite the potentially high cost of Ford Explorer Sport Trac insurance, maintaining insurance serves several important purposes.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Florida these limits are 10/20/10 which means you must have $10,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Ford has a lienholder, it’s most likely the lender will make it a condition of the loan that you carry insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you let the policy lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your Ford at a more expensive rate and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Auto insurance preserves both your vehicle and your assets. It will also provide coverage for medical transport and hospital expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are sued as the result of your driving. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially for larger claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Tampa is wasting up to $855 a year so you should quote and compare rates every year to ensure rates are inline.
Choices You Make Can Impact Your Insurance Rates
Part of the car insurance buying process is learning some of the elements that aid in calculating your policy premiums. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels, this allows you to make educated decisions that may result in better car insurance rates. Multiple criteria are taken into consideration when pricing auto insurance. Some factors are common sense such as traffic violations, but others are less apparent such as whether you are married or how safe your car is.
- Cheaper rates using alarm systems – Selecting a car model with a theft deterrent system can earn a premium discount. Systems that thwart thieves like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all help stop auto theft and help lower rates.
- Additional coverages that may be costing you – There are many extra bells and whistles that you can get tricked into buying if you aren’t careful. Insurance for replacement cost coverage, better glass coverage, and extra life insurance coverage may not be needed and are just wasting money. These coverages may sound good when deciding what coverages you need, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so remove them from your policy.
- Save money by staying claim free – Auto insurance companies in Florida give better rates to policyholders who are not frequent claim filers. If you file claims often, you can pretty much guarantee higher rates. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of larger claims.
- Don’t skimp on liability insurance – The liability coverage on your policy kicks in if a jury decides you are liable for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. It provides legal defense coverage to defend your case. This coverage is relatively inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
- Safety ratings are a factor – Cars with high safety ratings can get you lower premiums. Safer cars protect occupants better and fewer serious injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims which can result in lower premiums. If your Ford Explorer Sport Trac scored better than an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website you may pay a lower rate.
Type of car, truck or SUV determines base premiums – The type of vehicle you need insurance for makes a significant difference in your rates. Small economy passenger models generally receive the lowest base rates, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
The chart below uses these variables: married female driver age 30, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. The chart compares Ford Explorer Sport Trac insurance rates compared to other vehicles that have a range of performances.
- Decrease premiums by maintaining coverage – Having a lapse in insurance coverage will be a fast way to pay more for car insurance. Not only will you pay more, not being able to provide proof of insurance might get you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
- High physical damage deductibles equal low rates – Insurance for physical damage to your car, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, covers your vehicle from damage. Some coverage claims would be a windshield shattered by a rock, hitting a deer, and rolling your vehicle. The deductibles you choose are the amount of money you are required to spend out-of-pocket before your car insurance pays a claim. The higher the amount the insured is willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
Do you qualify for discounts on Ford Explorer Sport Trac insurance in Tampa?
Companies don’t always advertise all available discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we took the time to find both well-publicized and also the more inconspicuous discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Tampa auto insurance online.
- Sign Early and Save – Some companies reward drivers for buying a policy before your current Explorer Sport Trac insurance policy expires. The savings is around 10%.
- Professional Memberships – Being a member of a qualifying organization is a simple method to lower premiums when shopping for car insurance.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – When you have multiple policies and place coverage with the same company you may earn 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Buying a policy with all your vehicles on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Policyholders that allow data collection to look at where and when they drive by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system could see a rate decrease as long as the data is positive.
- Accident Free – Insureds with no claims or accidents pay less when compared with frequent claim filers.
As is typical with insurance, some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. So even though you would think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it just doesn’t work that way.
The example below shows the difference between Ford Explorer Sport Trac car insurance rates with and without policy discounts. The prices are based on a female driver, no tickets, no at-fault accidents, Florida state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, multi-policy, multi-car, claim-free, safe-driver, and marriage discounts applied.
A few popular companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are included below.
- State Farm may have discounts that include multiple policy, passive restraint, student away at school, Steer Clear safe driver discount, good student, multiple autos, and accident-free.
- American Family includes discounts for TimeAway discount, bundled insurance, early bird, Steer into Savings, air bags, and mySafetyValet.
- GEICO offers discounts including five-year accident-free, multi-vehicle, membership and employees, seat belt use, daytime running lights, and emergency military deployment.
- 21st Century offers discounts for automatic seat belts, air bags, student driver, homeowners, teen driver, and anti-lock brakes.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including homeowner, good student, multi-policy, continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, and online signing.
If you need lower rates, check with every prospective company how you can save money. A few discounts may not be available in every state. To choose companies who offer online Ford Explorer Sport Trac insurance quotes in Tampa, click here.
There’s no such thing as the perfect auto insurance policy
When it comes to buying coverage, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Your financial needs are unique and your auto insurance should unique, too.
Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining if your situation will benefit from professional help.
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Florida minimum liability coverage?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- Why do I need rental car insurance?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It’s fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Shop online but buy locally
A lot of people still prefer to visit with an insurance agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Licensed agents can answer important questions and help in the event of a claim. A good thing about getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find cheap insurance quotes but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from and supporting small agencies is still important in Tampa.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, your insurance coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents in Tampa that can give you free Tampa auto insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to find an agent because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. If you have a need to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, you can always find their quoting web page and fill out the quote form the provide.
If you need to find a reliable agent, you must know there are a couple different types of agencies and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agencies in Tampa can either be exclusive agents or independent agents. Both types of agents can write policy coverage, but it’s good to learn the differences because it can impact which agent you choose.
Independent Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that elect to be independent often have many company appointments so they can insure your vehicles through many companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, your policy is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency. If you need cheaper insurance rates, you need to compare quotes from several independent agencies to have the best price comparison. Most independent agents also contract with small mutual carriers that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Featured below is a list of independent agents in Tampa who can help you get free price quotes.
- Italiano Insurance Services, Inc.
3021 W Swann Ave – Tampa, FL 33609 – (813) 877-7799 – View Map
- Varcas Insurance Agency LLC
1721 W Hillsborough Ave – Tampa, FL 33603 – (813) 319-1940 – View Map
- Colucci Insurance
1441 E Fletcher Ave – Tampa, FL 33612 – (813) 972-1947 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive insurance agents write business for a single company and examples are AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to provide other company’s prices so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their company’s products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Drivers often buy from the same agent for years primarily because of loyalty to the company and strong financial ratings.
Below is a list of exclusive agencies in Tampa who can help you get price quote information.
- American Family Agencies
8501 N Florida Ave – Tampa, FL 33604 – (813) 930-0400 – View Map
- Mike Clamon – State Farm Insurance Agent
3816 S Dale Mabry Hwy – Tampa, FL 33611 – (813) 837-5421 – View Map
- Doug MacDaid – State Farm Insurance Agent
8910 N Dale Mabry Hwy #3 – Tampa, FL 33614 – (813) 935-2937 – View Map
Finding the right car insurance agent should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
Budget-conscious Ford Explorer Sport Trac insurance is available both online and from local agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some companies may not provide the ability to get a quote online and many times these smaller providers provide coverage only through independent agencies.
When getting Tampa auto insurance quotes online, don’t be tempted to reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are a lot of situations where an insured dropped collision coverage only to find out that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The proper strategy is to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Even more information can be read in these articles:
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Tampa Auto Insurance Rates for Business Use? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Low Credit Scores in Tampa? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for Immigrants in Tampa? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Subaru Outback in Tampa? (FAQ)
- Five Tips to Save on Auto Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)