It’s a fact that insurance companies want to prevent you from shopping around. Consumers who compare price quotes will most likely switch auto insurance companies because there are good odds of finding a lower-cost company. A survey found that consumers who routinely shopped for cheaper coverage saved $3,500 over four years as compared to drivers who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding discount rates on auto insurance is why you’re here, then learning a little about how to get price quotes and compare coverage rates can save time, money, and frustration.
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to find cheaper prices for auto insurance rates is to compare quotes annually from insurance carriers in Tampa. Drivers can shop around by following these guidelines.
- First, take a little time to learn about auto insurance and the things you can change to prevent rate increases. Many rating factors that drive up the price like inattentive driving and an unfavorable credit rating can be remedied by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Second, obtain price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes from many different companies.
- Third, compare the new quotes to your existing rates to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save money and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Fourth, notify your company or agent to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit a completed policy application and payment for your new coverage. Immediately put the certificate verifying coverage in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
A key point to remember is to make sure you enter similar coverage information on every quote request and and to get rate quotes from every insurance company. Doing this ensures a fair rate comparison and a complete rate analysis.
If you have a policy now or just want a better rate, you can use this information to buy cheaper insurance and still have adequate protection. Finding and comparing the most affordable insurance coverage in Tampa is easy if you know what you’re doing. Drivers only need to know the proper way to shop their coverage around from multiple carriers.
Seven Things That Impact Your Insurance Premiums
One of the most helpful ways to save on car insurance is to to have a grasp of the factors that aid in calculating your premiums. If you understand what impacts premium levels, this helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with better car insurance rates.
Your vocation can affect rates – Occupations such as military generals, social workers, and emergency personnel tend to pay higher premium rates because of intense work situations and lots of time spent at work. On the other hand, occupations like professors, athletes and performers pay the least.
With age comes responsibility – Older drivers are viewed as being more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents, and are generally more financially stable. Teenage drivers have been known to be inattentive when driving with friends therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
More people means more accidents – Residing in areas with lower population may provide you with better prices when buying car insurance. People who live in big cities regularly have more aggressive driving styles and a longer drive to work. Fewer drivers means fewer accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims.
Higher prices for coverage lapses – Not having insurance is a misdemeanor and any future policy may cost more because you let your insurance expire. And not only will your rates increase, getting caught without coverage can result in a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license. You will then be forced to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Florida motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
Having a spouse pays dividends – Having a significant other can get you a discount on your car insurance bill. It translates into being less irresponsible and it’s proven that being married results in fewer claims.
Little extras can really add up – Insurance companies have many extra coverages that can waste your money if you aren’t diligent. Coverage for things like coverage for rental cars, death and dismemberment, and membership fees may not be needed and are just wasting money. They may seem like a good idea at first, but if you don’t need them consider taking them off your policy.
GPS tracking and theft deterrents systems cut car insurance rates – Choosing to buy a car with advanced anti-theft systems can get you a discount on your car insurance. Theft prevention features like vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all help stop vehicle theft.
The best way to compare policy rates for Dodge Stratus insurance in Tampa takes advantage of the fact most insurance companies pay for the opportunity to give free rates quotes. The one thing you need to do is take a few minutes to give details including if it has an anti-theft system, the make and model of your vehicles, an estimate of your credit level, and how much school you completed. Your information gets transmitted to many different companies and they return rate quotes quickly.
To find the cheapest Dodge Stratus insurance rates, click here and enter your coverage details.
The car insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer price comparisons in Tampa, FL. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit two to three different companies in order to find the most affordable rates.
Insuring your Dodge vehicle just makes sense
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Tampa, paying for car insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability protection if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Florida these limits are 10/20/10 which means you must have $10,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Stratus has a loan, it’s guaranteed your bank will require that you have insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Dodge at a more expensive rate and require you to reimburse them much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit in the event you are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having insurance more than offset the price you pay, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. But the average driver in Florida is overpaying over $810 a year so shop around at every policy renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Car insurance discounts are available to cut your rates
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you might be missing out on some discounts that you may not even know about. Many discounts should be triggered when you purchase, but less common discounts must be inquired about prior to receiving the credit. If you’re not getting every credit available, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Older drivers may qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- One Accident Forgiven – This one is not really a discount per se, but a few companies such as GEICO, Allstate and Liberty Mutual will turn a blind eye to one accident before your rates go up if you have no claims for a set time period.
- Use Seat Belts – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off the personal injury premium cost.
- Student Driver Training – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully take a driver’s education course in school.
- Tampa Homeowners Discount – Simply owning a home can earn you a little savings because of the fact that having a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Telematics Discount – Tampa drivers who agree to allow driving data collection to study when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm might get better premium rates if they show good driving skills.
One last thing about discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates you can get free auto insurance, that’s just not realistic.
Auto insurance companies that may offer quotes with these discounts may include but are not limited to:
If you need cheaper Tampa auto insurance quotes, ask each company how you can save money. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply to policyholders in Tampa. If you would like to see a list of companies with the best discounts in Tampa, click here.
Compare prices but work with a local Tampa insurance agent
Some consumers would prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Professional insurance agents are trained risk managers and give you someone to call. The biggest benefit of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find lower rates but also keep your business local. And providing support for small agencies is still important in Tampa.
After completing this form (opens in new window), the quote information is transmitted to local insurance agents who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t even need to do any legwork because prices are sent to the email address you provide. If for some reason you want to quote rates from a specific insurance company, you would need to navigate to their website and complete a quote there.
When narrowing the list to find a good Tampa insurance agent, it helps to know the two different agency structures and how they work. Agents are categorized either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both types of agents can properly insure your vehicles, but it is important to understand how they differ since it can impact your agent selection.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agencies often have affiliation with several companies so they can quote policies through many different insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If prices rise, they simply move the coverage in-house and that require little work on your part.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, it’s a good idea to get rate quotes from a couple of independent agencies to have the best price comparison. Most also have access to additional companies that you may not be familiar with that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Below is a small list of independent agents in Tampa that can give you price quotes.
- Italiano Insurance Services, Inc.
3021 W Swann Ave – Tampa, FL 33609 – (813) 877-7799 – View Map
- ABC Neighborhood Insurance
1336 W Fletcher Ave – Tampa, FL 33612 – (813) 932-0000 – View Map
- Hockman Insurance Agency, Inc.
3438 Colwell Ave – Tampa, FL 33614 – (813) 636-4000 – View Map
Agents of this type generally can only insure with one company like Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. Exclusive agents cannot provide other company’s prices so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents are very knowledgeable in insurance sales and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Many people purchase coverage from exclusives partially due to high brand loyalty rather than having the cheapest rates.
Below are exclusive agencies in Tampa who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Lang Adams – State Farm Insurance Agent
5051 Memorial Hwy – Tampa, FL 33634 – (813) 243-1300 – View Map
- Doug MacDaid – State Farm Insurance Agent
8910 N Dale Mabry Hwy #3 – Tampa, FL 33614 – (813) 935-2937 – View Map
- Pam Williams – State Farm Insurance Agent
10005 Gallant Ln – Tampa, FL 33625 – (813) 963-3216 – View Map
Finding the right insurance agency should depend on more than just a cheap price. A good agent in Tampa will have answers to these questions.
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
Different people need different car insurance coverages
Always remember that when buying a policy for your personal vehicles, there really isn’t a perfect coverage plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
For instance, these questions might help in determining whether or not you may require specific advice.
- Are my friends covered when driving my Dodge Stratus?
- Does my policy cover me if I wreck while driving under the influence?
- What are the liability requirements in my state?
- Is motorclub coverage worth it?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
Get the best coverage at the best price
Insureds who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as high rates after DUI convictions, lack of trust in their agent, delays in paying claims and extreme rates for teen drivers. Whatever your reason, choosing a new insurance company is easier than you think.
Lower-priced auto insurance in Tampa is attainable both online as well as from insurance agents, so you should compare both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some companies may not offer the ability to get quotes online and many times these regional carriers only sell coverage through local independent agents.
When trying to cut insurance costs, never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many instances, someone dropped physical damage coverage to discover at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The ultimate goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate.
More tips and info about auto insurance is located at these sites:
- Understanding Limits and Deductibles (Allstate)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for First-time Drivers in Tampa? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Tampa Car Insurance Rates for Lyft Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for Nurses in Tampa? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Handicapped Drivers in Tampa? (FAQ)
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)
- Vehicle Safety Ratings (iihs.org)
- Should I Purchase an Umbrella Liability Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)