It takes a few minutes, but the best way to get the cheapest auto insurance rates in Tampa is to begin comparing prices regularly from companies in Florida. Drivers can shop around by following these guidelines.
- Read and learn about how car insurance works and the factors you can control to prevent high rates. Many rating criteria that result in higher prices such as high-risk driving behaviors and poor credit history can be improved by making minor changes to your lifestyle. This article gives the details to help find cheaper rates and get discounts that may be overlooked.
- Compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide prices from multiple sources. View companies
- Compare the new rates to your existing coverage to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find better rates, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Tell your current company to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit a completed application and payment to the new insurer. Once the application is submitted, store the certificate verifying proof of insurance in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
An important note is that you’ll want to compare similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote and and to compare as many companies as possible. Doing this enables a fair price comparison and a good representation of prices.
Sadly, over 70% of consumers kept buying from the same company for at least four years, and almost 40% of drivers have never quoted auto insurance rates at all. Most drivers in Tampa could save approximately $1,130 each year by just shopping around, but they think it’s difficult to shop around.
If you have a current insurance policy or are looking for a new policy, use these money-saving tips to save money without sacrificing coverage. Finding the cheapest insurance coverage in Tampa can initially seem challenging. Comparison shoppers just need to learn the proper methods to compare rates online.
Companies offering GMC Canyon insurance in Tampa
The companies shown below are ready to provide free quotes in Tampa, FL. If you wish to find cheaper auto insurance in FL, we suggest you click on several of them to find the most affordable auto insurance rates.
GMC Canyon detailed coverage information
The rate information displayed below showcases estimates of policy rates for GMC Canyon models. Being able to understand how prices are formulated can help guide drivers when making informed decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Canyon SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$198||$280||$546||$32||$164||$1,220||$102|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab 2WD||$198||$342||$546||$32||$164||$1,282||$107|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 2WD||$198||$342||$546||$32||$164||$1,282||$107|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$198||$342||$546||$32||$164||$1,282||$107|
|Canyon SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$226||$280||$546||$32||$164||$1,248||$104|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab Z71 2WD||$226||$342||$546||$32||$164||$1,310||$109|
|Canyon SLT Ext Cab 2WD||$226||$342||$546||$32||$164||$1,310||$109|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab 4WD||$226||$280||$546||$32||$164||$1,248||$104|
|Canyon SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$226||$402||$546||$32||$164||$1,370||$114|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 4WD||$226||$342||$546||$32||$164||$1,310||$109|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$256||$342||$546||$32||$164||$1,340||$112|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab Z71 4WD||$256||$342||$546||$32||$164||$1,340||$112|
|Canyon SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$256||$342||$546||$32||$164||$1,340||$112|
|Canyon SLT Ext Cab 4WD||$256||$342||$546||$32||$164||$1,340||$112|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Florida minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, and homeowner. Information does not factor in vehicle garaging location which can raise or lower premium rates greatly.
Comparison of auto insurance rates by gender and age in Tampa
The example below visualizes the comparison of GMC Canyon insurance costs for male and female drivers. The data is based on no violations or accidents, full coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Comparison of full coverage and liability-only policies
The chart below shows the difference between GMC Canyon insurance costs when comparing full coverage to liability only. The data assumes no claims or driving violations, $250 deductibles, drivers are single, and no other discounts are factored in.
Should you be buying full coverage?
There isn’t a written rule that works best for making the decision to drop physical damage insurance, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let’s assume your GMC Canyon settlement value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $8,000 after paying your deductible. If you are paying over $800 annually for your policy with full coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some circumstances where only buying liability is not a good plan. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest in the vehicle. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should keep full coverage in place.
Six discounts for cheap car insurance quotes
Companies that sell car insurance don’t necessarily list every discount in an easy-to-find place, so the following list contains a few of the more well known and also the more inconspicuous credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Resident Student – Any of your kids who are attending college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle may be able to be covered for less.
- Early Renewal Discounts – Some larger companies reward drivers for switching to them before your current coverage expires. The savings is around 10%.
- Discount for New Cars – Insuring a vehicle that is new can save up to 30% due to better safety requirements for new model year vehicles.
- Good Student – Performing well in school can save 20 to 25%. You can use this discount normally well after school through age 25.
- Multi-car Discount – Drivers who insure primary and secondary vehicles on the same car insurance policy qualifies for this discount.
- Safe Driver Discount – Drivers who avoid accidents can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accident claims.
Remember that most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. So when it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies don’t profit that way.
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of GMC Canyon annual premium costs with and without discounts. Data assumes a female driver, no claims or violations, Florida state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, claim-free, safe-driver, marriage, multi-car, and multi-policy discounts applied.
For a list of providers with significant discounts in Florida, follow this link.
Local Tampa insurance agencies and insurance
Certain consumers just prefer to talk to a local agent and that is a smart decision Professional insurance agents can answer important questions and help you file claims. The biggest benefit of comparing insurance prices online is you can get the lowest rates and still have a local agent. And supporting local agencies is especially important in Tampa.
After filling out this simple form, your insurance data is emailed to agents in your area that provide free Tampa car insurance quotes for your business. You never need to contact an agency since price quotes are sent to your email. If you want to compare prices from a specific company, don’t hesitate to find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
Picking an company requires more thought than just a cheap quote. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Tampa?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
What insurance coverages do I need?
When buying the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really isn’t a “perfect” insurance plan. Each situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining if your situation could use an agent’s help.
- Is my custom stereo system covered?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- Should I get collision insurance on every vehicle?
- When can my company non-renew my policy?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
Specific coverage details
Learning about specific coverages of a car insurance policy can help you determine the best coverages and proper limits and deductibles. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision) – Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like vandalism, damage from a tornado or hurricane, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, damage from flooding and damage from getting keyed. The maximum payout your car insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Medical expense insurance – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP reimburse you for expenses for things like pain medications, dental work and doctor visits. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Collision – This coverage will pay to fix damage to your Canyon resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision insurance covers claims like hitting a mailbox, hitting a parking meter, scraping a guard rail and backing into a parked car. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. Another option is to choose a higher deductible on your Canyon to bring the cost down.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers – This coverage protects you and your vehicle from other motorists when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for hospital bills for your injuries as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (10/20/10), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is important protection for you and your family. Normally the UM/UIM limits are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Liability coverages – This provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to other people or property. It protects YOU against claims from other people. It does not cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see policy limits of 10/20/10 which means $10,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a limit of $20,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $10,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Some companies may use one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which provides one coverage limit without having the split limit caps.
Liability coverage pays for claims like legal defense fees, pain and suffering and loss of income. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but consider buying as large an amount as possible. Florida requires drivers to carry at least 10/20/10 but drivers should carry higher limits.
The chart below shows why minimum state limits may not be adequate coverage.
Consumers who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including delays in responding to claim requests, policy non-renewal, policy cancellation or being labeled a high risk driver. Whatever your reason, finding a new company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are many occasions where an insured dropped physical damage coverage to discover at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. Your strategy should be to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Cheaper GMC Canyon insurance in Tampa can be purchased on the web in addition to many Tampa insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers do not provide the ability to get a quote online and usually these smaller companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agencies.
To learn more, feel free to browse the articles below:
- All About Airbag Safety (State Farm)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Seniors in Tampa? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for High Risk Drivers in Tampa? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for Immigrants in Tampa? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for High Mileage Drivers in Tampa? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 70 in Tampa? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Handicapped Drivers in Tampa? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for Uninsured Drivers in Tampa? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Tampa Car Insurance Rates for a Dodge Ram? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Honda Civic in Tampa? (FAQ)
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)
- Your Car has been Stolen: Now What? (Allstate)