It’s amazing but most drivers have been with the same company for well over three years, and practically 40% of auto insurance customers have never compared rates from other carriers. Tampa consumers can cut their rates by almost $1,100 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they just assume it’s a time-consuming process to compare rate quotes.
The best way to get more affordable car insurance rates in Tampa is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from insurance carriers that sell auto insurance in Florida.
- Try to understand what coverages are included in your policy and the measures you can take to keep rates low. Many policy risk factors that cause high rates such as speeding tickets, careless driving and an unfavorable credit rating can be improved by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Compare price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can give you price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers. Compare rates
- Compare the new rate quotes to the premium of your current policy to determine if you can save on Cruze insurance in Tampa. If you can save some money, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
A valuable tip to remember is to use identical coverage information on every quote request and and to compare as many companies as you can. Doing this provides a fair rate comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
Lower rates by qualifying for these six discounts
Car insurance can be pricey, but companies offer discounts that you may not even know about. Many discounts should be triggered at the time of purchase, but once in a while a discount must be specially asked for before they will apply.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – When you combine your homeowners and auto insurance with the same insurance company they may give you a discount of over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars with ABS and/or traction control have fewer accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Payment Method – By making one initial payment instead of monthly or quarterly installments you may reduce your total bill.
- Switch and Save Discount – Some companies give discounts for signing up prior to the expiration date on your current Cruze insurance policy. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Savings for New Vehicles – Putting coverage on a new Cruze may earn a small discount compared to insuring an older model.
- Active Military Service – Having a family member in the military could mean lower premium rates.
Don’t be surprised that most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn’t work that way.
The best car insurance companies and their offered discounts are included below.
- GEICO includes discounts for multi-policy, driver training, multi-vehicle, seat belt use, and defensive driver.
- Travelers has discounts for student away at school, early quote, IntelliDrive, driver training, and multi-car.
- Farm Bureau discounts include safe driver, youthful driver, good student, multi-policy, 55 and retired, and renewal discount.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts for multi-car, exclusive group savings, new vehicle discount, newly married, and teen driver discount.
- American Family offers premium reductions for TimeAway discount, air bags, good driver, multi-vehicle, accident-free, and mySafetyValet.
- Progressive may offer discounts for multi-vehicle, online signing, continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-policy, and good student.
If you want the cheapest Chevrolet Cruze rate quotes, ask all companies you are considering which discounts can lower your rates. Some credits might not be offered on policies in Tampa. If you would like to choose from a list of providers that offer some of these discounts in Tampa, click here to view.
The following companies are our best choices to provide price comparisons in Florida. If your goal is to find the cheapest car insurance in Tampa, it’s a good idea that you click on several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
There’s no such thing as the perfect auto insurance policy
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing your policy for your personal vehicles, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Your situation is unique so your insurance should reflect that
For example, these questions might point out whether your personal situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- If my car is totaled with they pay enough to replace it?
- What states are considered no-fault?
- Do I need higher collision deductibles?
- Is there a penalty for late payment?
- Does coverage extend to my business vehicle?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
Shop online but buy locally
Certain consumers would prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is a smart decision Agents can make sure you are properly covered and help you file claims. A nice benefit of comparing insurance online is you can get cheaper prices and still buy from a local agent. Putting coverage with small agencies is definitely important in Tampa.
By using this short form, the coverage information is sent to companies in Tampa that can give you free Tampa car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You don’t have to leave your computer since rate quotes are delivered instantly to you. If you want to get a rate quote from one company in particular, you would need to navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
Compare rates from both independent and exclusive auto insurance agents
If you prefer to buy insurance from a local insurance agency, there are a couple of different types of agents and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Insurance agencies in Tampa are categorized either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Both can sell and service insurance coverage, but it’s important to know the difference in the companies they write for since it can impact buying decisions.
Independent Insurance Agencies
Independent insurance agents do not write with just one company and that allows them to write policies with an assortment of companies and potentially find a lower price. If you want to switch companies, they simply move the coverage in-house and you won’t have to switch agencies. If you are comparing insurance prices, it’s a good idea to get several quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to have the best price comparison.
Below are independent insurance agencies in Tampa that can possibly get you free insurance rate quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These type of agents can only quote rates from one company such as Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to shop your coverage around so they have no alternatives for high prices. They are very knowledgeable on what they offer and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Shown below is a list of exclusive agencies in Tampa that are able to give rate quotes.
Choosing an insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a cheap quote. Any good agent in Tampa should know the answers to these questions.
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- Which family members are covered?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Tampa?
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
Insurance policy coverages for a Chevy Cruze
Learning about specific coverages of insurance can be of help when determining the right coverages for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be impossible to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. Listed below are typical coverages available from insurance companies.
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like falling objects, damage from a tornado or hurricane, a tree branch falling on your vehicle and damage from flooding. The most you’ll receive from a claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
This coverage covers damage to your Cruze resulting from colliding with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as colliding with another moving vehicle, colliding with a tree, crashing into a ditch and damaging your car on a curb. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from lower value vehicles. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible on your Cruze to save money on collision insurance.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
This provides protection from other motorists when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your Chevy Cruze.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 10/20/10), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important. Most of the time these limits are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Coverage for liability
Liability coverage will cover damage that occurs to a person or their property in an accident. It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see values of 10/20/10 that translate to a $10,000 limit per person for injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $20,000, and property damage coverage for $10,000. Some companies may use a combined limit which provides one coverage limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability coverage protects against things such as medical expenses, attorney fees, court costs, funeral expenses and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase higher limits if possible. Florida state law requires minimum liability limits of 10/20/10 but it’s recommended drivers buy more coverage.
The illustration below demonstrates why buying the state minimum limits may not be high enough to cover claims.
Coverage for medical expenses
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for short-term medical expenses for things like prosthetic devices, EMT expenses and rehabilitation expenses. They are often used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. It covers both the driver and occupants as well as any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
One last thing about your coverage
While you’re price shopping online, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many cases where drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits only to discover later that it was a big error on their part. Your objective should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Cheaper auto insurance in Tampa is possible online as well as from insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies may not provide the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through independent agents.
Even more information can be found in the articles below:
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for a Honda CR-V in Tampa? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Unemployed Drivers in Tampa? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Low Credit Scores in Tampa? (FAQ)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Distracted Driving Extends Beyond Texting (State Farm)